If you want to know what is currently occupying the minds of our team of talented architects, town planners, lawyers, communicators, cultural advocates and community activists then you've come to the hot spot for what is happening in Paddington right now:
NSW Planning Reform Submission - Counsellor John Mant, City of Sydney
John Mant is a former President of the Paddington Society, expert lawyer on planning issues, and respected international planner
The White Paper and the Bills amount to a proposal for a failed reform:
• Too much of the current fundamentally flawed system is retained.
• It has only token regard for the reform opportunities flowing from the implementation of the Minister’s fundamental performance measure – a single parcel formatted digital document of controls.
• Corruption will be facilitated.
• It is centralist and undemocratic.
• It requires, in effect, that 'development controls should not control development'.
• It proposes a planning regime that is unachievable and a consultation process that is ‘not mandated’.
• It represents a win over individual communities by the standard product, could-be- anywhere, development industries.
This submission summarises the reasons for these conclusions, and sets out what would be a proper reform.
Read more and be informed by downloading John's submission...